Saturday, April 16, 2005

Visualization ToolKit (VTK) -- To integrate or not to integrate

"The Visualization ToolKit (VTK) is an open source, freely available software system for 3D computer graphics, image processing, and visualization..."
VTK Home Page http://www.vtk.org/ 16 April 2005

The initial phase of the project was to determine whether to design a system bottom up or to modify an existing engine. The VTK provides many features, automatic lighting, an STL file reader, and a marching cubes implementation. Using the VTK marching cubes implementation would decrease design time but is not crutial to the system. I have implemented an ASCII STL reader.

The control of openGL is hidden from the programmer and this is the main downside of using this system. Integrating the controls of the haptic device would be required and it is unknown if it is possible or . Another issue is the workspace to graphics mapping. Since the openGL calls are hidden, it is unclear whether the model transformation matrix is accessible.

At this point in time, the risks of switching to the VTK outweigh the benefits.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I´m tryng to crate an haptic a ngrphaci enviroment using VTK, I've been workin with HLAPI, basad on the example HelloSphere. However I cuoldn't have a goos result, I can't ouch the sphere. Do you have any idea of how do that.
Thanks

21/12/06 19:28  
Anonymous Bojan said...

Hello

I m totally new in VTK and try to use it for a visualisation in haptic rendering application. For the beginning I need to know how to integrate VTK with OpenHaptics SD kit from Sensable using HLAPI/HDAPI. For example to feel and render a simple object. Please can you help me about this or to show me some simple example???Same sample code??

Thanks
Bojan

12/3/10 17:14  
Blogger Tosowski said...

As I stated in my post, I chose not to integrate with VTK and instead build a custom solution using OpenGL.

Using the following site, you should be able to do this in less than a month: http://nehe.gamedev.net/

12/3/10 18:30  
Anonymous Bojan said...

Hello

One qiestion.How did you calculate de spring force to the object? I dont to import a tri/stl file and than apply a simple spring force to the object using the HDAPI.So for a distance computation I can use PQP or SWIFT.But please can you explain how to integrate it to the HDAPI and how to calculate the force??

Thanks
Bojan

30/3/10 20:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters